Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rant: A Brief Comparison of Salaries Between The Big Bang Theory and Breaking Bad

Ugh...
The Big Bang Theory is one of the highest rated shows on TV right now. It's somewhat unclear why people seem to like it so much. I would love to see the demographic breakdown of the show's ratings. There must be a huge audience of people somewhere that enjoy stale stereotypical characters talking about science.

Big Bang's ratings are not its only success. Among other things, Jim Parsons has received 5 (5!) Primetime Emmy nominations. A substantial group of critics are impressed with the show as evidenced by its many Screen Actor's Guilt, Golden Globe, and Critic's Choice nominations. 

All of this is a source of mystery and infuriation to me, and I would pay for someone to explain the show's success. After watching four episodes I honestly don't understand. There must be something I'm missing about this show that makes it seem funny. 

I had learned to accept all of this until recently, when the cast, aware of their leverage, decided to negotiate for more money. Due to it's massive audience, the stalling of BBT was widely reported. This article from US Magazine outlines the MASSIVE salaries the main cast members are receiving. Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco are all getting $90 million dollars a year. Each. $90 million dollars a year. They are making 90. Million. Dollars. Every year. Because of the delays in production due to negotiation, the next season will only feature 20 episodes. At $90 million dollars a year, that is $4.5 million dollars an episode. This orgy of unnecessarily huge salaries is heinous.  

I will offer, as a comparison, the salaries of Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, the stars of Breaking Bad. As you are probably aware, Breaking Bad is considered by many to be the greatest TV program of all time. Here is evidence of that from Forbes, Philadelphia Magazine, and my favorite source, UproxxAccording to Business Insider, Paul and Cranston make $150,000 dollars and $225,000 dollars per episode respectively.

I will let that sink in. Jim Parsons is making literally 20 times what Bryan Cranston made. Parsons recites stale, cliched science jokes, Cranston became one of the most complicated, amazing characters ever broadcasted. And Parsons makes 20 times as much as he does. Will someone please explain this to me. The idea that Parsons actually held out for such a high salary is enraging beyond belief. 

If you'll excuse me, I think I'll go look for some blue meth to take my mind off this injustice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting